Devil's Tail (R3)
For a quick Halloween costume why not knit a Devil's Tail. Use a safety pin to attach it to the inside waistband of any skirt or trousers and swish away.
A printable version of this pattern is available.
You will need:
- red yarn (double knit)
- toy stuffing
- 4 x double ended knitting needles (3mm)
- tapestry needle
This pattern will use the abbreviation 3TOG. This means work 3 sts together using the following method – sl1, k2tog, psso.
(A list of other abbreviations is available.)
Cast on 2 stitches.
- Row 1: kfbf x 2 (6)
Separate the stitches onto several knitting needles and continue in the round.
- Round 2: k –
- Round 3: [kfb, kfb, k1] x 2 (10)
- Round 4: k –
- Round 5: [kfb, k2, kfb, k1] x 2 (14)
- Round 6: k –
- Round 7: [kfb, k4, kfb, k1] x 2 (18)
- Round 8: k –
- Round 9: [kfb, k2, 3TOG, k1, kfb, k1] x 2 (18)
- Round 10: [kfb, k6, kfb, k1] x 2 (22)
- Round 11: [kfb, k3, 3TOG, k2, kfb, k1] x 2 (22)
- Round 12: [kfb, k8, kfb, k1] x 2 (26)
- Round 13: [kfb, k4, 3TOG, k3, kfb, k1] x 2 (26)
- Round 14: [kfb, k10, kfb, k1] x 2 (30)
- Round 15: [kfb, k5, 3TOG, k4, kfb, k1] x 2 (30)
- Round 16: [kfb, k12, kfb, k1] x 2 (34)
- Round 17: [kfb, k6, 3TOG, k5, kfb, k1] x 2 (34)
- Round 18: [kfb, k14, kfb, k1] x 2 (38)
- Round 19: [kfb, k7, 3TOG, k6, kfb, k1] x 2 (38)
Add a small amount of stuffing into the top of the end piece.
Arrange the stitches so that the first 19 are on one needle and the last 19 are on another. Graft the two sides of the tail together using Kitchener Stitch.
- Using red yarn cast on 3 stitches.
- Work 40 - 60 cm i-cord.
- Cut yarn, thread through remaining stitches and pull tight.
Attach the end of the tail to the end piece and sew in any loose ends.
As with most ODDknit patterns the yarn and needle sizes in the "you will need" section are just a guide. Feel free to improvise with whatever needles and yarn you have lying around - that's half the fun!
© 2011 All desgins and images are copyright of ODDknit.