Devil's Horns (R2)
For a cheat's Halloween costume that can be knocked up in under an hour you can't go wrong with miniature devil horns. Perhaps consider a knitted tail to go with them.
A printable version of this pattern is available.
You will need:
- red yarn (double knit)
- toy stuffing
- 2 x hair grips (or an Alice band)
- 4 x double ended knitting needles (3mm)
- tapestry needle
(A list of other abbreviations is available.)
Cast on 4 stitches and join into the round.
- Round 1: k –
- Round 2: [k1, inc, k1] x 2 (6)
- Round 3: k –
- Round 4: [k3, inc] x 2 (8)
- Round 5: k –
- Round 6: [k1, inc, k3] x 2 (10)
- Round 7: k –
- Round 8: [k5, inc] x 2 (12)
- Round 9: k –
- Round 10: [k1, inc, k5] x 2 (14)
- Round 11: k –
- Round 12: [k7, inc] x 2 (16)
- Round 13: k –
- Round 14: [k1, inc, k7] x 2 (18)
- Round 15: k –
- Round 16: [k9, inc] x 2 (20)
- Round 17: k –
- Round 18: p –
- Round 19: k –
- Round 20: [k2tog, k3] x 4 (16)
- Round 21: [k2, k2tog] x 4 (12)
- Round 22: [k2tog, k1] x 4 (8)
- Round 23: k –
Stuff the horn through the small hole that remains then cut yarn, thread through the remaining stitches and pull tight.
Work through the pattern again to make the second horn.
For individual attachment work five or six big stitches across the base of the horn.
Slip one side of a hair clip through the stitches and then attach to your hair.
Individual clips are easy to hide in your hair but they do tend to slip if you wear them for a long time. They work best if you can tie up your hair to keep them in place.
Alternatively the horns can be sewn or glued to an Alice band. This works with any length of hair and will hold them in position better but there is a lot more hair band to conceal.
As with most ODDknit patterns the yarn and needle sizes in the "you will need" section are just a guide. Feel free to improvise with whatever needles and yarn you have lying around - that's half the fun!
© 2014 All desgins and images are copyright of ODDknit.