Little Star Banner (F2)
Another easy to knit decoration. By strategically picking up stitches you can also join the banners into a fabric.
A printable version of this pattern is available.
You will need:
- double knit yarn in yellow
- 2.75mm knitting needles
- tapestry needle
Cast on 2 stitches to begin the banner.
(A list of abbreviations is available.)
- Row 1: kfb, p1 (3)
- Row 2: k1, kfb, p1 (4)
- Row 3: k3, p1
- Row 4: k2, kfb, p1 (5)
- Row 5: k3, kfb, p1 (6)
- Row 6: k5, p1
- Row 7: cast on 4*, k9, p1 (10)
- Row 8: cast on 4*, k13, p1 (14)
- Row 9: k13, p1
- Row 10: k11, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (13)
- Row 11: k10, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (12)
- Row 12: k9, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (11)
- Row 13: k8, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (10)
- Row 14: k1, k2tog, k4, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (8)
- Row 15: k7, p1
- Row 16: k7, p1
- Row 17: kfb, k5, kfb, p1 (10)
- Row 18: k8, kfb, p1 (11)
- Row 19: k9, kfb, p1 (12)
- Row 20: k10, kfb, p1 (13)
- Row 21: k11, kfb, p1 (14)
- Row 22: k13, p1
- Row 23: cast off 4, k to last stitch, p1 (10)
- Row 24: cast off 4, k to last stitch, p1 (6)
- Row 25: k5, p1
- Row 26: k3, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (5)
- Row 27: k2, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (4)
- Row 28: k3, p1
- Row 29: k1, sl1, k1, psso, p1 (3)
- Row 30: sl1, k1, psso, p1 (2)
Repeat rows 1 to 30 until the banner is complete then cast off 2 and lose the loose ends of yarn at either end by sewing them into the edges of the stars.
* Use the bind-off cast-on for a neater finish.
Create a fabric of stars by knitting one banner as described above. Begin a second banner and attach it to the first by picking up 1 stitch (from the point of a first banner star) instead of the final cast-on in the 8th row.
Knit as per the instructions to row 24, then pick up an extra stitch and cast it off immediately at the start of that row. Repeat the pick ups every 8th and 24th row until the banners are the same length.
As with most ODDknit patterns the yarn and needle sizes in the "you will need" section are just a guide. Feel free to improvise with whatever needles and yarn you have lying around - that's half the fun!
© 2014 All desgins and images are copyright of ODDknit.