Belemnites are simple fossils that look best as part of a group or a bigger fossil collection.
A printable version of this pattern is available.
You will need:
- 4 ply or sock wool in greys and blues
- toy stuffing
- 4 x double ended knitting needles (3mm)
- tapestry needle
Cast on 8 stitches and join into the round.
(A list of abbreviations is available.)
- Round 1: k – (8)
- Round 2: [kfb, k2, kfb] x2 (12)
- Round 3: [k1, kfb, k3, kfb] x2 (16)
- Round 4: k – (16)
- Round 5: p – (16)
- Round 6: k – (16)
Repeat row 6 (plain knit) until the knitted tube measure between 5 and 7 cm in length from the purl row to the needles. Poke stuffing firmly into the tube.
Next shape the closing of the tube, stuffing further as you go.
- Closing Round 1: [k2tog, k6] x2 (14)
- Closing Round 2: k – (14)
- Closing Round 3: k – (14)
- Closing Round 4: [k5, k2togtbl] x2 (12)
- Closing Round 5: k – (12)
- Closing Round 6: k – (12)
- Closing Round 7: [k2tog, k4] x2 (10)
- Closing Round 8: [k3, k2togtbl] x2 (8)
- Closing Round 9: [k2tog, k2] x2 (6)
Make sure your belemnite is fully stuffed, thread yarn through remaining stitches and pull tight. Sew up the cast on stitches to close the tube. Hide remaining ends of yarn inside the fossil to finish.
As with most ODDknit patterns the yarn and needle sizes in the "you will need" section are just a guide. Feel free to improvise with whatever needles and yarn you have lying around - that's half the fun!
© 2010 All desgins and images are copyright of ODDknit.