Small Egg (R2)
This egg pattern is the size of a chicken's egg when knitted with the recommended needle size. Get fancy with the decoration for a sugar free Easter gift.
A printable version of this pattern is available.
You will need:
- yarn leftovers (double knit)
- toy stuffing
- 4 x double ended knitting needles (3mm)
- tapestry needle
Cast on 6 stitches. Separate onto 3 needles and join into the round. Continue as follows.
(A list of abbreviations is available.)
- Round 1: kfb x 6 (12)
- Round 2: k –
- Round 3: kfb x 12 (24)
- Round 4: k –
- Round 5: [kfb, k3] x 6 (30)
- Round 6-7: k –
- Round 8: [kfb, k4] x 6 (36)
- Round 9-14: k –
- Round 15: [k2tog, k4] x 6 (30)
- Round 16-19: k –
- Round 20: [k2tog, k3] x 6 (24)
- Round 21-23: k –
- Round 24: [k2tog, k2] x 6 (18)
- Round 25: k –
- Round 26: [k2tog, k1] x 6 (12)
- Round 27: k –
Fill the egg with toy stuffing, thread yarn through remaining stitches and pull tight. Sew in the loose ends to finish.
If you are going to knit stripes into your small egg I have two tips to keep them neat.
- Always start a new stripe with a row of plain knitting. If you have to rearrange the pattern slightly to do this, don't worry, the shape will still come out ok.
- Look up “jogless knitting” for tips on seamless colour changing in the round.
As with most ODDknit patterns the yarn and needle sizes in the "you will need" section are just a guide. Feel free to improvise with whatever needles and yarn you have lying around - that's half the fun!
© 2014 All desgins and images are copyright of ODDknit.